Bench Polisher from a Tile Saw
Sometimes, the tool you need the most doesn’t exist. It’s at that moment that you realize…Hey, I could make one of those! I’m doing an awful lot of edge cold working and don’t have a lap wheel, and my hand held polisher isn’t fabulous for edges. So, with a little ingenuity and a sharp hack saw, a new bench polisher is born.
I started with this tile saw, since I can’t use it as a saw. (If you need a saw, don’t buy this one, it’s horrible saw) I have some hope for it as a different kind of tool though.
Then I started to disassemble it so I could rebuild it into something that was actually useful.
Once I got the blade guard and other stuff out, I found this handy adapter at the hardware store. This will re-thread the shaft of the saw motor to accommodate the 4″ diamond polishing pads from my hand held polisher. Those numbers say M10x15, it’s an adapter to make the shaft the motor a different size
Luckily there is an adapter that fit this saw. I have another old tile saw that has an extremely odd size of thread with no known adapter.
Now the hacking part. I started by sawing through the black plastic rim of the saw on the reservoir side of the saw. I set that aside, as I’ll need it later.
Next I needed to reduce the height of the plastic walls so I can get my glass to the polishing wheel.
The plastic walls that are left are really flimsy, so I added some reinforcement in the shape of maple sticks.
And then put the black rim back on by screwing it down to the maple reinforcements.
Next, I added two maple crossbars that act as a work surface. I will probably find a more elegant solution at some point, but these are easy to make and removable for a more versatile set up.
It looks to me like this thing is going to make a heck of a mess when I add the water feed and use it, so I hacked up a plastic bin to make a splash guard and added a gallon of water with a thin piece of surgical tubing. I could have installed something more permanent in terms of a water reservoir, but I use this jug and tube set up for drill and carving, so it seemed easiest to have a multi-use solution.
I’ve pulled it forward so the drain hole in the reservoir is directly above a bucket. At some point it would be good to add a tube to the drain, but for now, I’m in business!!
Disclaimer: This article is for entertainment purposes only, it is not meant as a guide or tutorial. Hacking power tools can be dangerous and should be done at your own discretion and with great caution (if at all). Be smart people, safety first!
- Float and Bottle Glass Firing Schedules
- Bottle Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Problem Solving
- Float (Window) Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Kiln Formed Bead Tutorials
- Bottle Bottom Mold Tutorials
- Kiln Carving Tutorials
- Fusing With Inclusions Tutorials
- Casting with Bottle/Float Glass
- Fusing Other Glass Tutorials
- Glass Tools and Related Articles
- Compatibility and Technical Issues
- Studio Safety