Float Glass Bowl for Absolute Beginners
Basic Recycled Glass Bowl tutorial
If you love the idea of using recycled glass but aren’t sure where to start, or maybe just need an idea to get you started, then this tutorial may be for you. This is the very most basic recycled glass project there is, simply cutting and slumping window glass.
1/4” Window glass (larger than your mold)
diamond file or sanding pad
prepared slumping mold (of your choice, I’m using a triangle)
Measure your mold, or simply flip it upside down on your glass and trace around the edge.
Cut the window glass just inside the traced line.
Since this is a single fire slump, we need to cold work the edges prior to firing. Using your diamond file or sanding pad, smooth the edges and take off the edge. If you have a grinder, this will just take a minute.
After the edges are all smooth, clean your glass carefully, making sure the ground edges are clean.
Place the mold in the kiln. Place the glass on the mold.
Fire using the slumping schedule.
- Float and Bottle Glass Firing Schedules
- Bottle Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Float (Window) Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Kiln Formed Bead Tutorials
- Bottle Bottom Mold Tutorials
- Kiln Carving Tutorials
- Fusing With Inclusions Tutorials
- Casting with Bottle/Float Glass
- Fusing Other Glass Tutorials
- Glass Tools and Related Articles
- Compatibility and Technical Issues
- Studio Safety