Fusing Large and Small Bottles
Answering the age old question that is keeping us all awake at night:
Do large and small bottles fuse the same?
Let’s try it and see:
I’m using a 1.5L Bombay Sapphire Gin Bottle, and a tiny airline size Bombay Sapphire Gin bottle.
After cleaning them both very well, into the kiln they go:
Then fire to a full fuse:
Looks like they do fuse the same. The tiny bottle is a little more flat, but I would have expected that due to the lesser volume of glass. The edges are nicely rounded on both bottles with no devitrification or needling. To get an even flatter bottle, you could add a couple more minutes to the top hold of the fusing firing schedule.
Got a burning glass question keeping you up at night? Let me know, I just may have an answer!
- Float and Bottle Glass Firing Schedules
- Bottle Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Float (Window) Glass Fusing Tutorials
- Kiln Formed Bead Tutorials
- Bottle Bottom Mold Tutorials
- Kiln Carving Tutorials
- Fusing With Inclusions Tutorials
- Casting with Bottle/Float Glass
- Fusing Other Glass Tutorials
- Glass Tools and Related Articles
- Compatibility and Technical Issues
- Studio Safety