This week seemed like it turned into a bead-a-thon for me. I’m toying with the idea of having a bi-annual bead sale for jewelry makers, and I need to clear out some room in the studio, so I made a bunch of beads, before fusing:
These are made using our medium and large lentil bead mold kits, and glass pebbles or blobs. There’s a tutorial if you want to make your own.
Then, I had some ugly lumpy square beads made with art glass that needed some help.
These were fired with the wrong firing schedule (yes, it even happens to me). I cleaned the bead release out of the holes and added a nichrome loop to each one and then chucked them into with a bunch of other stuff for a fuse firing.
I often find it interesting to hear about the things that don’t work, as well as the things that do. So, here is what didn’t work in my studio this week.
I was trying to cast clear glass on these ceramic bases, and my dams failed. This is a technique I’ve used many times before, but this time was not the charm! Luckily everything was well kiln washed and there was shelf paper under the pieces, so other than the glass being ruined, everything was fine. I’ll be trying this one again tomorrow.
And, as we roll into fall here in Utah, I’m trying to remember to take time to enjoy the sunshine. Luckily, I have expert guidance!